Close: Monday, November 18, 2019
(Job #19-75) Administrative Analyst/Specialist II (AA/S II E), Gallery Director, $4,693-8,489 per month, depending on education and experience; appointments are generally made at the beginning of the salary range. This is a temporary, full-time, 12-month, benefitted, exempt position in the Department of Art.
Position Summary: Under the lead direction of the Department Chair, the Gallery Director will be responsible for providing leadership and overseeing two on-campus galleries, the Reese Bullen and Goudi’ni Native American Arts galleries, running all aspects of the on-campus exhibition program and overseeing and managing the university’s permanent collection of works of art. The Reese Bullen Gallery features exhibitions by professional artists related to areas of instruction in the Art department. The Goudi’ni Native American Arts gallery highlights the work of contemporary and traditional Native American artists.
The Department of Art is interested in a Gallery Director who will bring an innovative vision to our gallery programming that supports the mission of the university and the department. We are currently re-envisioning the mission, programming, and scope of our galleries and are looking for a director who can contribute to this process by engaging meaningfully with the various constituencies involved. The director will promote alignment between gallery programming and course curricula, further collaboration between academic departments, increase on-and-off campus engagement with gallery programming, and broaden relationships with local Native peoples and tribal nations. The director works closely with the Museum and Gallery Practices Certificate Coordinator and helps to train students in the Museum and Gallery Practices Certificate Program.
The successful candidate will be a dynamic museum/gallery professional with curatorial vision and significant hands-on experience with all aspects of gallery work and collections management.
- Plans, curates, designs, fabricates, and executes the installation and de-installation of 4 exhibits per year in the Reese-Bullen gallery and 2-4 exhibits per year in the Goud’ini gallery.
- Serves as Goud’ini gallery board member.
- Oversees publicity, art movement, insurance and shipping for all exhibitions.
- Coordinates sales in relation to exhibitions.
- Plans and coordinates receptions and opening events for each exhibition.
- Supervises the three on-campus Student Access Galleries and coordinates exhibition planning with student interns.
- Oversees day-to-day gallery operations and provides lead oversight to gallery support staff.
- Schedules and supervises interns and student workers who act as gallery assistants and gallery sitters.
- Oversees gallery budgets.
- Prepares internal and external grants as appropriate to support gallery programming.
- Prepares IRA grants and other grants (e,g. loyalty grants) as appropriate to support gallery programming.
- Oversees loans from the university’s permanent collection to offices on campus and off-campus institutions.
- Coordinates donations to the university’s permanent collection.
- Communicates with outside scholars and off campus institutions about works of art in the university’s permanent collection.
- Oversees conservation of works of art from the university’s permanent collection.
- Catalogs works from the university’s permanent collection and maintains the collection database.
- Interfaces with prospective and current donors to the gallery and collection.