The Galleries & Collections Assistant maintains and enables access to the university art collection and assists the Curator in fulfilling the missions of the Wriston Art Galleries and Lawrence University through the art collection and exhibitions. This position reports to the Curator of the Wriston Art Galleries.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Oversee the care of the Lawrence University art collection, including accession, condition, storage, transportation, proper handling and installation, and loans.
- Manage and implement collection digitization and online initiatives, including object photography and database administration.
- Arrange viewings of artworks and objects for a diverse group of faculty, students, and community members.
- Hire, train, and supervise student gallery interns.
- Contribute to the organization, installation, and promotion of the rotational exhibitions in the galleries.
- Submit an annual report of activities to Curator and serve as a member of the Gallery Committee.
- Provide general support to the Curator in realizing the various activities of the Wriston Art Galleries at Lawrence University.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong research and written and oral communication skills, an aptitude for organization, and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects, learn new skills, and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in the collections database PastPerfect and online digital collections platforms.
- Proficiency in digital photography and image editing software.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel, digital cameras, and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Familiarity with training and supervising diverse student workers.
- A commitment to museums and art collections work.
Education & Work Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in art history, museum/curatorial studies, library/archive sciences, collections management, or similar is required; a Master’s degree in these fields or similar is preferred.
- A minimum of one year of professional work experience with art collections; additional experience in an art museum setting working with collections is preferred.
Please visit the Lawrence Careers website at https://lawrence.peopleadmin.com/ to review the complete job description and learn more about employment at Lawrence University. Interested applicants should apply online and submit a complete resume and a cover letter that includes a statement on diversity.
We encourage applications from individuals who will help us create a more inclusive Lawrence by: 1) further diversifying the staff; 2) demonstrating experience with successful diversity-related initiatives; and/or 3) showing interest in developing inclusiveness to address the needs of a diverse student body.
Lawrence University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and individuals of diverse backgrounds. See https://lawrence.peopleadmin.com/for more information about Lawrence and its surrounding community. The New North Regional Guide also lists resources that promote diversity in the community:https://www.thenewnorth.com/talent/diversity-resources/diversity-resource-guides/.