The Harvard Museums of Science & Culture are dedicated to building a diverse community of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive environment – including fostering respect for all, serving the greater good, and welcoming individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. To learn more about HMSC’s mission, objectives, and core values, please visit our website https://hmsc.harvard.edu/
This position is responsible for high-quality exhibit production-related work as part of the HMSC Exhibitions Department. The person in this role is a well-rounded craftsperson and draws upon specialized fabrication skills to construct new exhibit elements and to troubleshoot and complete physical and mechanical repairs for existing exhibit components. The Exhibition Production Specialist works closely with two Exhibition Technicians and reports to the Exhibit Production and Maintenance Manager who directs the efforts of the team in support of department goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Fabricate new exhibit components from drawings or approved prototypes, using a wide variety of materials. Exhibit components include cases, pedestals, object mounts and specialty components
- Perform large-scale exhibit space renovation or preparation work
- Provide support for the installation of exhibitions, including the installation of object mounts, wall graphics, labels, lighting and audio-visual components
- Troubleshoot, restore, repair, and rebuild existing physical, mechanical and audio-visual exhibit components
- Work with the Exhibit Production and Maintenance Manager to provide input into project schedules and help create fabrication and maintenance checklists
- Assist, as needed and assigned, with routine exhibit maintenance including cleaning of galleries, cases, storage and shop areas
- Maintain a clean, organized, and safe work environment and observe safety and risk management procedures in public areas and work spaces as determined
- Perform related duties as assigned
- Applicants must include a cover letter to be considered for the position
- Examples of work will be requested of interview candidates
- Some scheduling flexibility is required, especially during periods of intense exhibit production and when meeting exhibit deadlines. Candidates must be available to shift their schedule on occasion to accommodate work planned on mornings and evenings outside of museum public hours
All formal written offers will be made by FAS Human Resources.
Salary Grade: 055
Union: 55 – Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
- At least three years of production/fabrication experience; education beyond high school in carpentry, metal-working or a mechanical or related field will count toward experience
- Experience working from technical drawings, schematics, sketches and product manuals
- Experience working with a wide variety of power tools and other workshop equipment: table saw, panel saw, circular saw, pneumatic tools, router, etc.
- Must be able to routinely lift up-to 60 lbs, climb stairs and work while walking or standing
- Demonstrable knowledge of and skill working with varied production materials such as wood, metal, or plastics
- Ability to work collaboratively and as a member of a team required, as is an ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and issues simultaneously with minimal supervision
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- High standards of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to troubleshoot and creatively problem-solve
- Qualifications in following areas considered a plus, but not necessary for consideration:
- More extensive direct experience with museum exhibit construction and installation
- Training or knowledge of environmentally sustainable fabrication (materials and methods)
- Strong mechanical aptitude and some electrical and/or computer-based knowledge
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Internal Number: 48744BR