Curator of Exhibitions
Organization: UB Art Galleries
Date Posted: 2/5/2019
Location: New York
Country: United States
Primary Category: Curatorial
Salary: $55,000.00 yearly
Type of Position: Full-Time
Education Requirement: Master’s
Experience Requirement: < 1 year
Description & Details
The Curator of Exhibitions at UB Art Galleries will be a dynamic, visionary curator who will conceptualize, develop and implement the exhibitions for both UB Art Gallery, Center for the Arts and UB Anderson Gallery that reflect its mission: to present and interpret temporary exhibitions that examine cultural and socio-political topics informing current art practice and provide education and research into the University’s permanent collection of modern/contemporary art. The Curator of Exhibitions will work closely with the UB Art Galleries’ Director and professional staff, university faculty, students and staff, artists, community, and national and international partners to develop innovative and interdisciplinary exhibitions, and related programs that engage the university, students, faculty, the broader Western New York /Southern Ontario region, and beyond.
The University at Buffalo (UB) is a comprehensive, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence and engagement with the regional, national and international communities we serve. UB is privileged to have two art galleries dedicated to the university’s mission for academic excellence and service to the community. Each gallery presents a year-round series of exhibitions, providing students, faculty and the broader community easy access to thought-provoking art, visiting artists and stimulating educational programs. In addition, UB Art Galleries provides professional training for graduate and undergraduate students through internships and curatorial opportunities, and supports faculty and student research.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conceptualize, research, develop, organize, and implement UB Art Galleries’ exhibition program and schedule that reflects the mission of UB Art Galleries.
- Work closely with the Director to plan future exhibitions for UB Anderson Gallery and when appropriate co-ordinate shows that will occupy both galleries.
- Working closely with staff, particularly the Director and Registrar, to submit a timeline and detailed budgets for each exhibition with specific deadlines.
- Plan, organize and implement catalog publications when appropriate and sufficiently funded, and engage faculty, students, writers and/or consultants to contribute texts.
- Develop and prepare appropriate interpretive material for exhibitions (text panels, audio, etc.) and encourage contributions from faculty, students, writers, artists, scholars and/or consultants.
- Develop programs, projects, lectures, performances, and other events related to the exhibition program that expand audiences and increase the visibility of UB Art Galleries.
- Ensure goals and strategies for exhibitions and related programs are consistent with the mission and overall strategic planning for UB Art Galleries.
- Develop opportunities to travel exhibitions with the Director, work with registrar on the production and management. Further develop the UB Art Galleries identity (with its two locations) to other contemporary arts institutions locally and within the region.
- Work closely with the Program and Engagement Coordinator and the university’s communications and marketing offices to communicate, promote and publicize UB Art Galleries’ exhibitions and programs including press releases, announcement card design and mailing, website and social media updates, monthly newsletter and general marketing.
- Write press release content for all exhibitions with assistance from staff, guest curators, etc. As determined by the budget and exhibition plans, write brochure text and/or facilitate the design of exhibition brochures, as determined with the Director. Most exhibition catalogues will have commissioned essays, but it is expected that the curator will contribute an essay to the publication. The size and quantity of the brochures and catalogues are determined in part by the budget and the success of elevating outside support.
- Work regularly with the Program and Engagement Coordinator and staff to develop strategic education programs and community partnerships to extend UB Art Galleries, its programs and academic resources beyond the university and into the city’s and region’s educational institutions and community organizations.
- Partner with the UB Office of Advancement and Sponsored Projects to develop strategies for identifying and applying for funding support outside the university for exhibitions, publications, symposia, a residency program, etc. through grants, sponsorship and gifts.
- Develop professional and collegial relationships with artists, arts organizations, and galleries at the local, national, and international levels. Develop and maintain a strong network of contacts both nationally and internationally with artists, curators, dealers, collectors, etc.
- Serve as contact person for and manager of all internships at UB Art Galleries, including recruitment, hiring, and making assignments, supervision through weekly journal reports, staff interviews and filing grades.
- Develop evaluation processes and tools for exhibitions that will engage staff, faculty, students and visitors in the process to evaluate the exhibition planning and implementation process.
- Work within the gallery’s collection and exhibition policies and the university’s building maintenance, security and safety policies as they are related to exhibition management.
- Assist the Director and Registrar with presentations to the acquisitions committee of artworks to consider for the university’s collection.
- Supervise and mentor the UB Art Department Graduate Assistant who is responsible for assisting in the planning and implementation of exhibitions at the second floor CFA Art Gallery. Supervision includes meeting regularly with the GA and Head Preparator and also meeting with the appropriate classes to aid students’ planning their installations and understanding the processes.
- Work closely with the Director, Registrar, Preparators, and Finance and General Operations Manager to maintain and update a training program for gallery assistants that includes input from the gallery assistants as well as a process for evaluating them.
- Serve on appropriate university and community committees to maintain and strengthen the visibility of UB Art Galleries and participate within the academic sector through lectures for classes, studio visits and when appropriate, teaching.
- Develop strategies to expand and diversify audience attendance and participation, including campus audience, general public, educational communities, etc. Also develop strategies to engage faculty to integrate the exhibitions within their curriculum development and as well as encourage students to integrate our programming into their research projects.
- Actively seek professional development opportunities that will introduce new professional contacts and provide new skills and ideas for improved performance.
- Perform all other duties, as needed, in support of the Director of UB Art Galleries.
How to Apply / Contact
Follow the link below to learn more about the position and how to apply.