Department: Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center
Duration of Position: Temporary
Position Type: Administrator
Posting Removal Date: Open Until Filled
Posting Number: 1001730
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion, and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free/tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and ResponsibilitiesReporting to the Registrar and Collections Manager, the Collections Associate (CA) is one of five members of the collections and exhibitions management team charged with the functional care of 22,000 works of art and associated intellectual data. The Art Center’s collection spans all media ranging in date from antiquity to contemporary. The team is also responsible for the installation/deinstallation of exhibitions (both permanent collection works and loans) as well as the documentation of all transactions and movement of objects according to professional museum standards.
The Collections Associate supports curricular object-based study in the museum. The CA assists with maintaining accurate up-to-date information in the Art Center’s collections management database, TMS. The Collections Associate is responsible for making all objects accessible and for providing proper accounting practices.
This position is full time for the full year with a two-year term with the possibility of renewal/extension.
- Coordinates with Curator of Academic Programs and Preparator to manage Project Gallery (laboratory for object-based study) installations;
- Coordinates with Exhibitions Registrar and Preparator to pull and prepare works for in-house exhibitions prep;
- Primary person to pull and re-house works of art for all purposes (class use, exhibition, examination, preparation, loan) and tracks all movement in TMS; produces object packages and
reports, as needed; works with Database Administrator to maintain integrity of data as currently established;
- Conducts inventory of 22,000 objects on a systematic basis (each full inventory is currently a three-year project) as well as quarterly location spot-checks to include all classifications of
works of art within a single year;
- Provides assistance with ongoing TMS data clean-up and management projects;
- Supervises and mentors 2+ students per semester;
- Occasional courier duties;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BA in Art History/BFA, MA/MFA preferred;
- Knowledge of art handling best practices and art and artifact collections care in a museum environment;
- Minimum 2 years experience working with an art museum collection or gallery;
- A high degree of organization and self-motivation, including ability to take initiative, anticipate actions needed, and exercise independent judgment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly in verbal and written forms;
- Experience using TMS (The Museum System) collections management software;
- Comfortable working on multiple projects at any one time;
- Ability to work under pressure and in a collaborative team environment;
- Ability to work with/mentor part-time work-study students from diverse backgrounds;
- Art handling installation skills a plus.
Required Applicant Documents
Contact Information for 3 References
Optional Applicant Documents
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your cover letter, resume, contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. This position will remain open until filled.
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu.
Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
For more information and to apply: https://employment.vassar.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1572273253469