Reporting to the Director, this senior position at the Davis Museum at Wellesley College provides active leadership in the Museum’s administration in accordance with its educational mission and objectives, including overall management and long-term strategic planning. The ability to work collaboratively with the Museum Director and the other senior managers and staff, to communicate effectively with a diverse community of faculty, students, college administrators, and patrons, and to develop effective management and financial policies are critical to this position.
In close partnership with the Director, the Assistant/Associate Director for Operations and Collections Management is responsible for administration and financial management (accounting, budgeting, staffing, and performance tracking), collections care and management (registration, conservation, information, exhibitions, and preparation), museum technology (data management systems, media installations and production), security and facilities (building), retail, and daily operations for the Davis. The position supervises 4 direct reports.
- Recommends and administers policies, protocols, and procedures in the areas of collections, finance, technology, development, security, and facilities, and manages staff in these areas.
- Develops and administers budget; oversees and forecasts funds required for staffing, exhibitions, and collections care, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitors and approves expenditures and budgetary adjustments; liaison to Wellesley College financial offices.
- Oversees and ensures proper maintenance of the Davis Museum facility, and acts as the liaison to Wellesley College physical plant office.
- Oversees work plan for collections and security departments, and facilities projects.
- Working with the Director, participates in strategic long-term planning.
- Liaises with Wellesley’s Development Office at Wellesley College in support of Davis fundraising priorities and strategies.
- BA/MA with significant experience in an art museum, demonstrated experience with collections management and/or arts administration.
- Five to seven years in a museum setting.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent demonstrated leadership, administration, analytical, and strategic planning skills.
- Ability to provide leadership, vision, and coordination in management of Museum’s Operations and Collections Management departments and staff.
- Extensive experience in the preparation of financial statements; knowledge of fund accounting and not-for-profit management.
- Experience leading an institute-wide budget process to completion on a timely basis and then providing ongoing monitoring of financial performance and measuring against approved budgets.
- Ability to prepare and present understandable and informative financial reports to the Director, staff, and relevant committees.
- Proven experience in effectively managing staff; ability to lead /inspire/ supervise personnel, and to ensure a professional best practices in Museum operations.
- Experience reviewing contracts and other legal documents; ability to involve and manage outside counsel and consultants as needed.
- Experience in a position of senior supervisory responsibility at an art museum.
- Personal skills of high-energy leadership, flexibility, sense of humor, intellectual curiosity, and openness to working with a wide range of staff in a fast-paced environment. Commitment to the educational mission of Wellesley College. Discretion, confidentiality, professionalism, and enthusiasm for collaboration. Entrepreneurial spirit a plus.
Online App. Form: