Art Gallery Director
BEMIDJI STATE UNIVERSITY
1500 Birchmont Drive NE
Bemidji, MN 56601
Classification: Range C (Unclassified MSUAASF)
The Gallery Director will be responsible for three university galleries: the Talley Gallery, Gallery X, and the Bemidji State Harlow | Kleven Gallery at the Watermark Art Center. In addition, this position will be responsible for the management and care (with the knowledge and expertise in museum/collections best practices) of the Harlow (ceramics) and Kleven (print) collections which have been appraised at over a million dollars. These donated collections are an extremely valuable asset to Bemidji State University, Minnesota State and the state of Minnesota. Generally speaking, this position will execute the implementation, coordination, and organization of visual arts exhibitions and related arts programming for Bemidji State University students, faculty, staff and the greater arts community.
The Director must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position, which include the lifting, carrying, shipping preparation, and installation of exhibition artworks. This may also include the use of appropriate tools and equipment to facilitate the execution of these tasks.
The Director will work in the Talley Art Gallery and Gallery X (on the BSU campus) and the Bemidji State University Harlow| Kleven Gallery (at the Watermark Art Center).
- Direction, administration and management Recruit and process applications from potential visiting scholars.
- Maintain and strengthen the collaborative visual arts relationships between Bemidji State and the greater visual arts community.
- Management of all BSU galleries (Talley Gallery and Gallery X) and the BSU Gallery at the Watermark Art Center.
- Management of Harlow Ceramics Collection and the Kleven Print Collection (valued at over a million dollars).
- Formulation and tracking of budgets and contracts.
- In consultation with the university selection committee, conduct national search for artists to apply for shows at the Talley and Watermark galleries, screen artist applications and select artists to exhibit their work.
- Collaborating with the School of Technology, Art & Design faculty and students on student exhibitions.
- Maintain an accurate inventory of the Harlow Ceramics Collection and the Kleven Print Collection.
- Implement and maintain archival management and storage of Harlow and Kleven collections.
- Serve as a liaison between the AIRC’s Native American collection expert and the Watermark Art Center.
- Contract negotiations with artists
Percent of time: 40%
- Research, strategic planning, and strategic execution
- Designing and executing promotional materials for exhibits, student workshop activities, and other visual arts events and activities.
- Work with other campus faculty and staff to coordinate implementation of the gallery shows in various curriculums like science, technology, art, math, design, humanities, philosophy, etc.
- Implement all aspects of exhibit installation and dismantling following ADA and Best Practice guidelines.
- Maintain gallery spaces including patching drywall, repainting, care and maintenance of gallery pedestals/display furniture.
- Shipment and handling of artwork
- Research and remain current in museum and collections best practices and management.
- Collaborate with the President’s and Provost’s offices in an effort to create exhibitions that are relevant to current topics related to BSU, education, or the current regional political and educational environment
- Arrangement of workshops and lectures of visiting artists.
- Curatorial responsibilities of researching and selection of art around exhibit themes.
- Prepare artwork from both the Harlow and Kleven campus collections for showing at the Watermark. This includes matting, framing and transportation to and from the Watermark, while implementing best practice standards.
- Conduct local, regional and national searches for artists to apply for shows at the BSU Watermark Harlow | Kelven and Talley Galleries.
- Work with the Watermark Art Center Board as it relates to the BSU Watermark Harlow | Kelven Gallery exhibitions and the Watermark mission.
Percent of time: 40%
- Promotion, public relations and communication
- Designing, writing and executing promotional materials for exhibits and events.
- Collaborate with BSU Communications Office in determining appropriate marketing and promotional material.
- Be the voice of all thing BSU visual arts galleries and collections
- Work with the Watermark Art Center Board as it relates to the BSU Watermark Harlow | Kelven Gallery and the public relations.
Percent of time:15%
- May serve as mentor to studio arts students as the execute their senior art exhibition in Gallery X.
- Supervise student workers who will monitor and secure the gallery during open hours, assist with installation of artworks for the execution of the exhibitions.
Percent of time: 5%
To facilitate proper crediting, please ensure that your application and/or resume clearly demonstrate fulfillment of the following minimum qualifications.
- Master’s degree in Art related field
- 3 – 5 years of experience working directly with museums and collections
- Evidence of excellent cross-cultural communication skills (written and oral)
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with a diverse population of students, faculty, staff, and external parties
- Ability to occasionally work weekends and/or evenings to execute exhibitions according to the exhibition opening date.
- All applicants must be able to lawfully accept employment in the United States at the time of an offer of employment.
- Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Minnesota State University Associate of Administrative and Service Faculty (MSUAASF), which can be found at http://www.msuaasf.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/ASF-Contract-2017-2019.pdf
- Official transcript(s) must be provided to Human Resources upon hire.
- In accordance with the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnState) Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, faculty and staff driving on college/university business, who use a rental or state vehicle, shall be required to complete a vehicle Use Agreement form and conform to MnState’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a motor vehicle records check.
- BSU and NTC are tobacco free workplaces (see policy)
- This is a Minnesota State University Associate of Administrative and Service Faculty (MSUAASF) Range C position with minimum salary starting at $43,138. Salary is commensurate with education and experience and is determined by the collective bargaining agreement between Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnState) and the MSUAASF organization.
- For more information on initial salary placement for MSUAASF http://www.minnstate.edu/system/hr/compensation/initialSalaryPlaceme1.html
Apply online: https://bemidjistate.peopleadmin.com/
A complete application will include the following attachments:
- Cover letter, which addresses the required qualifications and your specific interest in working at Bemidji State University.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae.
If you have questions about the position, contact Steve Sundahl, Chair Search Committee, at email@example.com
If you have general questions about this posting or submitting an application, contact Teresa Hanson, at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information and to apply: https://www.minnstate.edu/jobs/viewPosting.php?pid=18905